Monday, April 29, 2013

BBQ meatballs and rice

My friend, Katie, made these for our freezer meal exchange.  This isn't exactly her recipe - I wrote hers down and lost it.  :/  So I've included the generic meatball recipe that I used tonight but I do have her sauce recipe.  She referred to the recipe as a "guideline;" she cooks like me!  These are sooo yummy!  Definitely one of my kids' favorite meals.


SAUCE

1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup vinegar
1/2 cup bbq sauce
2 tsp mustard
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce

Combine all ingredients and mix well.


MEATBALLS

2 lbs lean ground beef  (I used the 2.25 lb pkg from Wal-Mart)
2 eggs
2/3 cup bread crumbs
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/2 cup finely diced onion (I used a few Tbsp of dried onion instead)
3 Tbsp milk

Combine all ingredients except ground beef and mix well.  Add ground beef and mix just to combine (I use my hands).  Then shape into meatballs, about 1-inch.  Here's where you have some options...

     **Fry in a skillet just to brown them.  Put in a baking dish, cover with sauce and bake at 375° for about 30 minutes, till inside is done (160° internal temp)
     **Throw them on a cookie sheet and flash freeze them.  When you're ready to start dinner, put the meatballs in a baking dish and bake at 375° for 20 minutes.  Then cover with the sauce and bake for another 30-40 minutes, till meatballs are done.

Serve over cooked rice with extra sauced drizzled on top.  Mmm.



No comments: