Thursday, December 11, 2008

Roasted Chicken

Awhile back, I saw Cristina Ferrare on Oprah. She was doing some money saving recipes by showing a recipe for roasted chicken that could be used in multiple recipes. I did the roasted chicken recipe and it turned out to be pretty yummy. I didn't make all of her other recipes (not yet, anyway!) but I was pretty pleased with the chicken. As she suggested, I did two chickens because it goes with my cooking philosphy: If I'm making something time consuming (lasagna, etc.) I might as well make two and have leftovers! If you didn't want to do the whole chicken thing, I think this would also work well with split chicken breasts, then you could pull the meat off those....try it out!


INGREDIENTS

2 whole chickens, about 5 lbs each
6 lemons
A poultry herb mix (I used dried poultry seasoning - Cristine suggests fresh herbs, including rosemary, sage, thyme, parsley and oregano)
1 cup Dijon mustard
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup lemon juice (from the lemons - save the rinds!)


DIRECTIONS

Rinse chickens well and pat dry. Remove any inside stuff that might be left. Place each chicken in its own baking dish.

Stuff cavities with lemon rinds and herbs. If using dried herbs, sprinkle liberally inside.

Pour marinade over chickens and rub it in. Top with black pepper and remaining herbs.

Cover with foil and bake in preheated 425° oven for 1 1/2 hours. Remove foil and bake until internal temperature registers 180° and juices are clear.


Isn't it pretty? :)

No comments: