Saturday, November 1, 2008

LOW CAL Zucchini Muffins

I altered this recipe from one that I found on AllRecipes to make it healthier. I'll type the recipe the way I made it, with the original ingredients in parentheses. I scraped the bowl and made exactly two dozen cupcakes....these are sooooo yummy!!!

UPDATE: I figured it up - if you make it my healthy way with walnuts, each muffin is 105 calories. Omit the walnuts and each muffin is 72 calories. Just FYI. :)


INGREDIENTS

3 cups whole wheat flour (original: 3 cups flour)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 Tbsp cinnamon
3 eggs
1 cup unsweetened applesauce (original: 1 cup oil)
1 3/4 cup Splenda (original: 1 3/4 cup sugar)
1 Tbsp vanilla
2 cups grated zucchini, about 3 medium (DO NOT DRAIN - you'll need the moisture)
1 cup chopped walnuts (optional, but highly recommended!)


DIRECTIONS

Sift together flour(s), salt, soda, baking powder and cinnamon. Set aside.

Cream together eggs, oil, applesauce, sugar, Splenda and vanilla. Add dry ingredients and mix well.

Stir in zucchini and walnuts until well blended. Spoon into greased muffin tin. (I use muffin liners and lightly spray those.)

Bake at 325
° for about 15 minutes. DO NOT overbake or you will lose the wonderful moist texture. Remember: if you use any whole wheat flour, your muffins will already be kind of brown - so you can't just look for the 'golden brown' on top.


These are so good. If you think your batter looks a little dry before baking, stir in an extra dollop of applesauce. Some people stir in chocolate chips, but I kinda like them without it. You can also bake this in an 8x4 loaf pan for about 40 minutes. So good.

No comments: